Employment Opportunity: Ski Education Substitute Instructors
2021 Ski Education Substitute Job Description
Crosscut Mountain Sports Center (CMSC) is a non-profit committed to strengthening the youth skiing community while fostering a sense of environmental stewardship through our outdoor education programs. Our Ski Education Programs are adaptive to elementary through high school ages and implement curricula designed to fit the Montana Next Generation Science Standards. Programs are scheduled from the beginning of January through the end of March; Monday through Friday. Additionally, we may have some early-season days in December and Sundays with other partner organizations such as Big Sky Youth Empowerment, Earthtone Outside and Montana Immigrant Justice Alliance.
- Adventures in Winter Ecology/Nordic Adventures Program (AWE/NA)
Our AWE/NA programming will occur once per week this season. We will work with private schools and small, out of district public schools to provide a full day of skiing and outdoor education. Students will be divided into groups of 5 for a trail tour and science and/or Indigenous Peoples curriculum.
- Remote Learning/Homeschool Session Program
We will be piloting a new session-based program this season with remote learners, micro-schools, and homeschooled students. Students will sign up for a 4 week session during which they will come to Crosscut once per week for either a half or full day of skiing and science/Indigenous Peoples curriculum that builds from the previous weeks.
- After-school Program
We will also be piloting a new after-school program in partnership with MIJA (Montana Immigrant Justice Alliance) with the specific goal of equity and access to Ski Education programming. A cohort of students will come to Crosscut once per week to build ski skills and connect with the landscape.
Crosscut Mountain Sports Center is seeking to hire enthusiastic educators as substitute instructors for our Ski Education Program team. Our program strives to make cross-country skiing an inclusive and accessible lifelong activity. Additionally, we work to provide an educational experience that supplements classroom learning through exploration and hands-on activities. This job is very active and requires instructors to be comfortable on cross-country skis and able to be outside with students for 5+ hours.
Hours and Scheduling
Our typical work day is Monday-Friday from 9am-3pm. Frequency of work is dependent on instructor preference and program needs.
Job Standards and Experience:
Commitment: Instructors are committed to creating an environment that is open to students of all backgrounds and abilities.
- Experience working with kids in a classroom, outdoor, or camp setting
- Excitement and passion for environmental education and hands-on experiential learning
- Experience Cross-Country Skiing
- 1+ year of experience working in the Ski Education program
- Experience working with students with disabilities
- Experience working with underrepresented students
- Experience working with English Learner students
- Must be able to attend staff training on January 9th, 2021 (tentative date)
- Must be comfortable being in the outdoors for 5+ hours during the winter/variable weather
- Must be comfortable supervising and teaching small groups of students independently for a full day
- Must be adaptable and willing to improvise curriculum/ ski routes to accommodate students of varying ability levels, to support new programming, and COVID related changes to existing programs
- Updated Basic First Aid and CPR by time of employment
- Must pass a background check
Employee Information and Benefits for Ski Education Staff
- Substitute instructors will be paid $18/hour
- Accident insurance will be provided for all Ski Education staff
- Season pass ski privileges at Crosscut Mountain Sports Center and discount opportunities at Lone Mountain Ranch (Big Sky)
- Instructors will be provided with a jacket to be used while teaching (cleaned between each use)
- A great working environment nestled in the beautiful Bridger Mountains.
- Pro-deals TBD
- Crosscut day passes to share with friends and family
COVID Specific Information:
CMSC wants to do everything possible for the health and safety of our staff and students. We plan on conducting all of our programming outdoors, and in the event that social distancing is not possible, staff and students will be expected to wear masks. The following bullet points outline changes to our usual program due to COVID-19
- The maximum number of students participating in the Ski Education program at one time will be 20, and there will be no contact between groups of 5 students and 1 instructor.
- A robust subbing program is crucial to our programming this year, due to the likelihood of instructors being unable to come to work due to contracting COVID, having exposure to a COVID case, or having COVID symptoms.
As an equal-opportunity employer, Crosscut Mountain Sports Center is committed to being inclusive in our hiring practices. Crosscut does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or age.
To apply, please send your resume, two references, and a brief paragraph of why you would like to be part of the Ski Education Program to email@example.com.